Recipe: Hog Call Chili
Kyle Barton. West Des Moines, Iowa
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled
- 4 tablespoons Vermont maple syrup
- 3 pounds 93-percent lean ground beef
- 8 ounces of Graziano's sausage
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans of Del Monte's Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Jalapenos
- 2 15-ounce cans of Hunts Tomato Sauce
- 15.4-ounce can of Campbell's Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon of Superior Touch's Better Than Bouillon chili base
- 11 ounces of V8 Juice Hot 'n Spicy
- 7.75 ounces of El Pato Mexican Salsa
- 2 16-ounce cans of Bush's Chili Beans - Medium Sauce
- 2 16-ounce cans of Bush's Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 4.5 ounces of green chilies, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of salted butter
- 2 onions
- 2 green peppers
- 2 jalapenos
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon of Olde Westport Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon of ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 package of Sazon Goya seasoning
Grease entire chili pot with bacon grease and turn heat on.
Put diced tomatoes, sauce, soup, chili base, salsa, V8 juice, beans, chilies, and chili powder in the chili pot.
In a separate pan, cook ground beef with chicken broth until brown. Add the sausage and cook for five more minutes. Then place into the chili pot with the tomato mixture
Start the timer, counting upward.
Next, cut the onions, green peppers and jalapenos into fine pieces and cook in sauce pan with butter. Then place into the chili mixture.
Take the peeled apples and cut into fine pieces. Mince the garlic and then add both the apples and garlic into the chili mixture.
Next, take all spices except the Sazon Goya seasoning package and 1 tablespoon of chili powder and mix into chili mixture. Cook on low boil until timer says 90 minutes.
Finally, add the Sazon Goya seasoning, the remaining chili powder and maple syrup into the pot. Cook for another 30 minutes and stir frequently. Serve.